Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Getting out of the house

DH has a new position at work, and his office is now located at a closer facility to home. This means I could possibly get involved with a local community theatre....and there's one maybe 10 minutes (or less?) away. I haven't checked it out other than "I know it's there", so I'm planning on seeing a show sometime to see if it's somewhere I'd like to get involved. The last theatre I joined had "clique*" problems, and I no longer live near that one anyway. I've heard that there's a person from theatre #1 that is involved with theatre #2, so it'll be interesting to see if theatre #2 is clique-y too.

I'm itching to get back into theatre, and I need something to get me out of the house without DD--of course I love her, but right now it's like a 24-7 work schedule with no time off. DH does relieve me some when he's home, and he will keep her on the weekend and let me go out shopping or something, but as much as I love shopping, weekends are not the best time to go--traffic extreme. And since the point is for me to relax, and there's no way to relax stuck in traffic....I end up just staying home.

*Clique problems: Just one example--A show, in mid-run, was shorthanded backstage. I signed up to work a few nights. The stage manager would not assign me any jobs--they'd gotten used to working shorthanded I guess. So I just stood around, and tried to jump in when it looked like people were struggling. And they wonder why no one wants to work backstage--there's about 3-4 people that do it regularly (every show, every play) and they work out a routine that works for them, and aren't willing to adjust when other people do show up, but complain when no one does.

No comments: