Saturday, September 30, 2006

$1 + elbow grease = very happy toddler

DD loves the play kitchen at her cousins' house. She opens the "microwave", closes it. Again and again and again. Friday morning, my sister-in-law and I went to her mother-in-law's church rummage sale. And I found.....a Little Tykes play kitchen. For a dollar. (I think new it probably sold for about $70) Woo-hoo! All it needed was a thorough cleaning--it looked like it had been stored outside. I cleaned it while she was napping (took almost 3 hours--it was very dirty). I've never seen her eyes so big or smile so wide! She spent at least 45 minutes opening the doors--"microwave" and "oven", then closing them. Over and over. That's pretty long for a 17-month old! Now I just have to find a good deal on play pots/pans/dishes/food. But for now, she' s very happy just opening and closing the doors. And I'm happy that she's happy. Could be the best dollar I ever spent.

1 comment:

Belinda said...

Dollar stores or thrift stores often have some good pretend cookware and dishes. Also perhaps look at disposable cookware - aluminum pie pans or bread pans or such.